[asterisk-dev] Opinions needed: Should PJSIP support enhancements still be allowed in 12->13?

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Wed Oct 1 12:16:05 CDT 2014

Even though I've been using pjsip on my dev and test machines for a year,
it's only in the last few weeks I've tried to implement pjsip in a prod
environment and that's brought up some issues.   Unfortunately now that
we're close to a 13 release there's some trepidation about addressing these
issues in 12->13 as opposed to just trunk...

res_phoneprov:  Today's phoneprov infrastructure is strictly chan_sip using
users.conf and sip.conf for all user related configuration.  There's no
pjsip support there at all.   I have 2 patches posted to RB ([1], [2])
 that make res_phoneprov pluggable and provide a pjsip provider for
phoneprov.    All existing functionality remains unchanged.   You just get
the same capabilities for pjsip that you had for sip.

manager/config:  From a remote configuration management perspective The AMI
commands GetConfig, GetConfigJSON and UpdateConfig allow you to manipulate
Asterisk config files, BUT they don't work well on configurations that can
have multiple sections with the same name.  This was rarely a problem
before pjsip but now you can have an endpoint, an aor, an auth, an identify
and an registration all named 'myitsp'.   This makes it impossible to
manipulate them  via AMI.   I have a patch to enhance manager.config with
that capability as well as the cabability to manipulate config templates
via AMI.   [3]

Finally,  While thinking of alternatives for the config file dilemma, Josh,
Brad and I tossed around the idea of a 'super' pjsip object or objects that
could represent a 'trunk' or a 'user' thereby eliminating having to specify
separate endpoint, aor, auth, identify and registration objects for common
scenarios. [4]   I just started writing code for this today.

So now the big question is...   Can these items go into 12/13 or should
they go only in ttrunk/14.   I do need these patches but I can always apply
them to my own distro.  My opinion though is that they should go into 12/13
to help speed the adoption of pjsip.  No one who uses phoneprov or AMI to
manipulate config files will able migrate otherwise.  Having said that, I
realize that 13 GA is almost upon us and having defined cutoffs is a very
good thing.

Thought's? Opinions?

george

[1] https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/3970/