[asterisk-dev] DTMF mute in RTP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri May 23 08:43:58 CDT 2014

On 23 May 2014, at 15:39, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>> rtp->dtmfmute = ast_tvadd(ast_tvnow(), ast_tv(0, 500000));
>>
>> Am I right in that we mute half a second between DTMF signals here? I had to take it down to 45000 microseconds to make my alarms work.
>>
>> In channel.c we have a forced gap on 45 ms, which is more reasonable.
>>
>> /*! Minimum amount of time between the end of the last digit and the beginning
>> *  of a new one - 45ms */
>> #define AST_MIN_DTMF_GAP 45
>>

>> I think we should implement a #define in res_rtp_asterisk.c and take down the dtmf mute to a reasonable level, or make it configurable.
>>
>> What is your opinion?
>>

> I wonder if this shouldn't just be handled in the core, and not in
> res_rtp_asterisk at all. Technically, anything could create DTMF and
> pass it off to a channel to be handled - having the management of DTMF
> in channel.c does seem to make some sense.
>
> I'm curious, what happens if you just remove the checks in res_rtp_asterisk?

That's a good question. I wonder if anyone remembers why this was put in there.
There's talk about removing "dtmf echo" in the code.

Will see if I get to try it out. Have some pretty heavy DTMF sending/receiving equipment on my table. My ears are singing with the joy of DTMF being played all day.

To get a similar experience, please play music from this site in your office.
http://www.michaelv.org/projects/telephone/

Mine is unfortunately more random.

/O