[asterisk-dev] Alembic in 12 SVN

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Mar 18 09:07:15 CDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Russell Bryant
<russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
>>
>> Matthew Jordan wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Technically, it's probably not hard. I wonder how horrible it'd be for
>>> end users, however.
>>>

>> Probably pretty horrible, since it's basically changing everything.
>

> Well ... you completely drop support for anyone that has already run the
> scripts.
>
> How advertised / documented is it?  It may be new enough that nobody is
> truly relying on it yet.  That's my guess, honestly.
>
> You could probably provide some scripts to manually fix an existing database
> to deal with the change.  That sounds like a pain and probably not worth it,
> though.
>
> If you want to rework it, I would just do it ASAP and cover it in release
> notes.  If you go through this effort, I would also add an automated test
> that verifies that all migrations are linear to catch these problems ASAP in
> the future.  You could do something like the existing "validate-docs"
> Makefile target that only runs if dev mode is on.  Add a
> "validate-linear-migrations" target that runs in dev mode or something like
> that.

I'd prefer to do it now and get it done. Better to suffer the pain now
rather than during an LTS - but a quick e-mail to the -users list may
be in order.

Having a make target that tests this is a good idea - we already have
something similar in mkrelease when it generates the SQL scripts for
the tarballs, and we have a Bamboo plan that just tests make targets.
I'll add that to the list.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager