[asterisk-dev] Alembic in 12 SVN

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Tue Mar 18 08:31:29 CDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

> Matthew Jordan wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Technically, it's probably not hard. I wonder how horrible it'd be for
>> end users, however.
>>

> Probably pretty horrible, since it's basically changing everything.

Well ... you completely drop support for anyone that has already run the
scripts.

How advertised / documented is it?  It may be new enough that nobody is
truly relying on it yet.  That's my guess, honestly.

You could probably provide some scripts to manually fix an existing
database to deal with the change.  That sounds like a pain and probably not
worth it, though.

If you want to rework it, I would just do it ASAP and cover it in release
notes.  If you go through this effort, I would also add an automated test
that verifies that all migrations are linear to catch these problems ASAP
in the future.  You could do something like the existing "validate-docs"
Makefile target that only runs if dev mode is on.  Add a
"validate-linear-migrations" target that runs in dev mode or something like
that.

--
Russell Bryant