[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8.15-cert7, 1.8.28.2, 11.6-cert4, 11.10.2, 12.3.2 Now Available (Security/Regression Release)

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Jun 13 09:03:08 CDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 01:57:25 -0500
> Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
>
>> Thus: consider 12.3.2 as a complete replacement for 12.3.1. If I could
>> remove all traces of 12.3.1 (and its companions), I would. Alas,
>> that's ... really hard ... so it is what it is.
>>
>> Sorry for the confusion -
>
> This is bad for distro maintainers. We have automated systems that
> either pick all or one of the patches. And having one-off exceptions
> like this is really causing more problems than solving.

Which distros do that?  Why not grab the full tarball each time a new
release is issued?  I know that's what Fedora does, and I'm pretty
sure that's what Debian/Ubuntu does.

Sure, there's some bandwidth savings, but dealing with issues like
this, or patches that won't apply for other reasons just doesn't make
a whole lot of sense to me, especially for distro maintainers where
the bandwidth savings of downloading one patch file vs a whole tarball
is completely swamped one the binary packages are produced.

--
Jeff Ollie