[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8.15-cert7, 1.8.28.2, 11.6-cert4, 11.10.2, 12.3.2 Now Available (Security/Regression Release)

Timo Teras timo.teras at iki.fi
Fri Jun 13 02:27:23 CDT 2014

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 02:15:28 -0500
Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 01:57:25 -0500
> > Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> > http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/certified-asterisk/releases/ChangeLog-1.8.15-cert7
> > > > >

> > http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLog-1.8.28.2
> > > > >

> > http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/certified-asterisk/releases/ChangeLog-11.6-cert4
> > > > >

> > http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLog-11.10.2
> > > > >

> > http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLog-12.3.2

> > http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-12.3.2-patch.gz

> > > In this case, that is not an accident.
> > >
> > > The regression was so serious that applying the patch for 12.3.1
> > > by itself is "bad". My concern when making this (and we just
> > > finished this up after scrambling for the entire day, once we
> > > realized what happened) was two scenarios:
> > > (1) Someone would apply only the patch for 12.3.1, and end up
> > > with a crippling regression
> > > (2) Someone would casually read the security release announcement,
> > > only apply the patch for 12.3.2, and end up with a vulnerable
> > > system.
> > >
> > > With this case - where 12.3.2 contains the full delta between
> > > itself and 12.3.0, the worst that happens is you get the
> > > 'previously applied patch warning', and only if you applied the
> > > patch for 12.3.1 in the very short time that it was alive. That
> > > stinks, but feels like the best path forward through a bad
> > > situation.
> > >
> > > Thus: consider 12.3.2 as a complete replacement for 12.3.1. If I
> > > could remove all traces of 12.3.1 (and its companions), I would.
> > > Alas, that's ... really hard ... so it is what it is.
> > >
> > > Sorry for the confusion -
> >
> > This is bad for distro maintainers. We have automated systems that
> > either pick all or one of the patches. And having one-off exceptions
> > like this is really causing more problems than solving.
> >
> > Please could you regenerate it to be consistent.
>
> While I sympathize with distro maintainers, I'm not sure creating a
> situation where someone may manually patch Asterisk themselves and
> leave themselves vulnerable is superior. That feels like putting
> ourselves before users, which is not something I typically agree with.
>
> Regardless, I've been at this now for 20 hours. I'm not sure what I
> would generate would be correct at this point, and I don't think
> introducing more risk into this process at this point in time is a
> good idea.
>
> I'll address this again after I've slept.

Yeah. And on second thought, changing already published files is a bad
idea.

Though, Please take note for future to not do special changes in the
patches. In most cases the way the patches are applied (cumulative or
incremental) is automated. And trying to do 'smart' things with them is
a bad idea.

Users can anyway go and download the broken 12.3.1 releases. And now I
cannot apply the patch on top of that.

/Timo