[asterisk-dev] Modifying Asterisk sRTP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jan 7 08:38:59 CST 2014

On 07 Jan 2014, at 15:12, Dylan Herman <hermandy at pascack.k12.nj.us> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a question regarding sRTP with Asterisk. I posted this question on the Asterisk wiki and was suggested to post it on the Developer mailing list. I am working on an encryption project. The project consists of using my own encryption method to encrypt SIP phone calls using an Asterisk server-server connection. I was wondering where the algorithm that sRTP uses to encrypt RTP is located, so I can modify the code to utilize my own algorithm. I was told it is not in the Asterisk source code.

The names of the algorithms used in Asterisk is hard coded in Asterisk's srtp code. The rest of the implementation is in the libsrtp library hosted on github.

Recently libsrtp added an option to use OpenSSL encryption, which is better for some government installations as OpenSSL is usually approved. I don't think we use that option in Asterisk.

/O