[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] kharwell: branch 12 r404663 - in /branches/12: ./ channels/ configs/ include/...

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri Jan 3 10:43:58 CST 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> On 03 Jan 2014, at 16:50, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
>

>>> In sip.conf, skinny.conf and other places, it's "setvar" without underscore.
>>>
>>> Why change the syntax already used?
>>>

>> Hey Olle -
>>
>> The syntax here is strictly snake case for two reasons:
>>
>> (1) It keeps it in line with the other options in pjsip.conf. Yay consistency!
>
> It sounds cool, but breaks consistency with the rest of our product.
>
> I suggest you add "set_var" as an alias in the rest of the configurations.
>

> After many years of teaching Asterisk, I vote for being consistent. Having setvar in some files and set_var in one file is NOT a good idea (TM).
>
> Yay consistency!

I'm not sure that I agree with adding 'set_var' to all of the other
channel drivers is a good idea. It's not difficult, but it's a lot of
change in channel drivers where people are unlikely to use or need the
new aliased option.

As far as pjsip.conf goes, it already has a very different schema then
sip.conf, dahdi,conf, iax.conf, or any other channel driver
configuration file. I agree that makes the learning curve steeper -
which isn't ideal - but I'd personally rather go with consistency in
pjsip.conf than have consistency with legacy approaches in other
channel driver configuration files.

If someone feels differently, I'd certainly be happy to entertain a
patch that adds aliases or an alternative approach.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager