[asterisk-dev] CentOS packaging

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Thu Feb 27 15:28:59 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
>>
>> If the packages were restructured, it could be set up so that Asterisk
>> only provides chan_dahdi in a subpackage - although there are
>> obviously some issues with subpackages as well. I'm still not sure of
>> a good structure for subpackages that lets you pick optional modules
>> in an 'ala carte' fashion. For example, I may want chan_dahdi, but I
>> may also want PostgreSQL for realtime, IMAP voicemail, and
>> chan_ooh323. (The answer is probably 'build from source', but the fact
>> that each subpackage has to be independent from others limits their
>> usefulness, in my opinion)
>

> The way we've done this in Fedora is to build these sorts of pieces as
> subpackages, and tweak the build process to build multiple versions of some
> of the packages -- for example, we have asterisk-voicemail-plain,
> asterisk-voicemail-odbc, and asterisk-voicemail-imap.  You can choose any
> one of those three subpackages (as they each conflict with the other two).
>
> The complete list of subpackages we currently build is below.  (For the sake
> of this conversation, chan_dahdi is built as a subpackage as well.)
>
> asterisk-alsa
> asterisk-calendar
> asterisk-corosync
> asterisk-curl
> asterisk-dahdi
> asterisk-devel
> asterisk-fax
> asterisk-festival
> asterisk-ices
> asterisk-jabber
> asterisk-jack
> asterisk-ldap
> asterisk-ldap-389
> asterisk-lua
> asterisk-minivm
> asterisk-misdn
> asterisk-mobile
> asterisk-mysql
> asterisk-odbc
> asterisk-ooh323
> asterisk-oss
> asterisk-portaudio
> asterisk-postgresql
> asterisk-radius
> asterisk-skinny
> asterisk-snmp
> asterisk-sqlite
> asterisk-tds
> asterisk-unistim
> asterisk-voicemail
> asterisk-voicemail-imap
> asterisk-voicemail-odbc
> asterisk-voicemail-plain

Ah - so that shows my lack of knowledge of subpackages :-)  I had
thought that each subpackage included *all* of Asterisk, and not just
the modules. In this case, I'd be a huge proponent of pulling the
DAHDI related modules out as a subpackage, particularly in Asterisk
11+.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager