[asterisk-dev] git migration update

Leif Madsen lmadsen at thinkingphones.com
Tue Dec 23 06:20:48 CST 2014

On 22 December 2014 at 18:34, Russell Bryant <russell at russellbryant.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM, George Joseph <
> george.joseph at fairview5.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Samuel Galarneau <sgalarneau at digium.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> 2 - we have a few options as far as team branches go. We could configure
>>> user branches using refs/heads/team/${username}/* permissions in Gerrit to
>>> allow users to create branches. This would prohibit other users from
>>> pushing to a user branch, but they would still be visible. This would most
>>> likely involve reproducing some sort of automerge/autorebase process. The
>>> other option is to use github as another remote for team branches, with a
>>> remote pointing to Gerrit for code reviews. Is there a preference between
>>> these two approaches, or perhaps a better setup we could follow?
>>>

>> I don't think there's any need for you to host users' repos any more.
>> It may have made sense for SVN but I don't think it does for GIT.  Let
>> users make their own arrangements be it GitHub or in my case, my own GIT
>> infrastructure.
>>

> +1.  I don't think it makes sense with git.  github or whatever should
> work just fine for that purpose.

Another +1 here. The beautiful thing about git is that you're not going to
need to do that. Anyone can use whatever git method they want (local,
github, stash, etc) and just rebase against the origin branch with a
remote. If people want to work together, then there are various ways of
doing that, one of which github makes incredibly straight forward.

--
Leif Madsen