[asterisk-dev] Wrapping CLI output at 80 columns.

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue Oct 22 22:45:18 CDT 2013

> I'm looking at Rusty Newton's Asterisk 12 chan_pjsip CLI
> Specification<https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+12+chan_pjsip+CLI+Specification>
> and
> wondering about the requirement to wrap the tabular output at 80 columns.
>  Very few people have terminals that are exactly 80 columns anymore and
> force wrapping just doesn't seem like a good thing.   As an Asterisk
> administrator I'm either at my desk with ssh sessions open to clients'
> systems, or I'm on my tablet with an ssh session open.  Neither is ever
> exactly 80 columns.  On my desktop, I like being able to stretch my window
> and get a full 'sip show peers' with 1 peer per line.  On the tablet which
> may be set less than 80 columns, I don't want the output to wrap at 60
> columns because of the screen, then have a forced break 20 columns into the
> next line because that's 80 columns of output.
>
> So, thoughts on removing the 80 column wrap requirement and just letting
> the screen do the wrapping?
>
> george

+1

Hi!
  I'm obviously using this terminal setting:

patrol at hyper:/opt/asterisk/etc$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 75; columns 240; line = 0;
I have 30 codecs in Asterisk and 'core show translation' fills almost exactly
my 240-character line. I tried it on a small 80-char window and every line
was wrapped to three ones, which was almost unreadable.
  However, I don't understand the requirement - even in the document, there
are outputs occupying about 120 chars per line - for example 'pjsip show
subscriptions', and they doesn't seem wrapped (at least links browser doesn't
wrap them :-) ).
  I'm still not using pjsip, so I can't judge, what's really there, but my
vote is also not to enforce any fixed line size, neither 80 nor any other.

With regards,
  Pavel