[asterisk-dev] Wrapping CLI output at 80 columns.

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Tue Oct 22 14:23:58 CDT 2013

I'm looking at Rusty Newton's Asterisk 12 chan_pjsip CLI
Specification<https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+12+chan_pjsip+CLI+Specification>
and
wondering about the requirement to wrap the tabular output at 80 columns.
 Very few people have terminals that are exactly 80 columns anymore and
force wrapping just doesn't seem like a good thing.   As an Asterisk
administrator I'm either at my desk with ssh sessions open to clients'
systems, or I'm on my tablet with an ssh session open.  Neither is ever
exactly 80 columns.  On my desktop, I like being able to stretch my window
and get a full 'sip show peers' with 1 peer per line.  On the tablet which
may be set less than 80 columns, I don't want the output to wrap at 60
columns because of the screen, then have a forced break 20 columns into the
next line because that's 80 columns of output.

So, thoughts on removing the 80 column wrap requirement and just letting
the screen do the wrapping?

george