[asterisk-dev] SaySentence/SoundPack Proposal

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Nov 27 11:14:45 CST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:04:58PM -0700, Steve Murphy wrote:
> Hello--
>
> Boy, it's been a long time since I posted to the dev mailing list!
>
> I'd like to announce a proposal to the Asterisk Community, that I
> introduced at Astridevcon last month. It is a new API for playing sound
> files (mainly speech). A pdf describing the Proposal in some detail is at:
>
> http://www.gmvoices.com/downloads/steve/sayscripts.pdf

My initial reaction to this is that it is a reimplementation of
text-to-speech.

It also removes some existing functionality (saying a date and such).

The proposal also ignores say.conf . When talking with Steve at the
DevConf I made the mistake of assuming that as say.conf is only
referenced in app_playback, it is only used by Playback(), which is not
the case.

Languages in say.conf:

$ grep '^\[' configs/say.conf.sample
[general]
[digit-base](!)         ; base rule for digit strings
[date-base](!)          ; base rules for dates and times
[en-base](!)
[en_GB](date-base,digit-base,en-base)
[it](digit-base,date-base)
[en](en-base,date-base,digit-base)
[de](date-base,digit-base)
[hu](digit-base,date-base)
[fr](date-base,digit-base)
[es](date-base,digit-base)
[da](date-base,digit-base)

Why isn't it more commonly used?

(On a personal note: writing the language support is a nice janitorial
task for a native speaker of the language with a moderate level of C, as
it easy to test and has no inherent concurrency issues)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com