[asterisk-dev] What's an AOR?

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed May 22 13:18:21 CDT 2013

On 05/22/2013 09:44 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> I notice that chan_pjsip use "aor" as a replacement for peer/user - an account.

This is not correct. The replacement for peer/user is the type
"endpoint". The term "endpoint" is generic enough that it can refer to
any sort of logical SIP device with which Asterisk will be communicating.

An endpoint may be configured to have any number of aors associated with
it. In turn, each aor may have multiple contacts bound to it. This
allows a hierarchical structure that decouples endpoints from locations.

> In SIP an AOR is the address that resolves into destinations - your registered phones - when you initiate a dialog. It's also the address you register to in order to add a new device.
>
> In Asterisk the AOR you place a call to is the extension in the dialplan. It resolves into a SIP account and then to the registred devices.
>
> So in fact we have two AOR's - the one you call to and the one you register to. In Asterisk they're different.

Just a quick interjection here. They don't *have* to be different.

> I would prefer that the AOR stays as a name for the extension, what you dial to, and that we separate that from what we register to. That's just an account.
>
> Calling one AOR - the business card style address in SIP - could resolve into many sip devices.
>
> I think using AOR for the registration account will confuse many, since you can't call it without an extension in the dialplan.
>
>  From over ten years of teaching this stuff, I think it's important that we have proper names for things.

I think the name "aor" is proper for what it actually is. It is simply a
named entity to which contacts may be bound. An aor may be shared by
multiple endpoints, or an endpoint may have multiple associated aors.
There is also nothing that restricts you from having an endpoint, an
aor, and the extension used to call the endpoint share the same name.