[asterisk-dev] What's an AOR?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed May 22 09:44:46 CDT 2013

I notice that chan_pjsip use "aor" as a replacement for peer/user - an account.

In SIP an AOR is the address that resolves into destinations - your registered phones - when you initiate a dialog. It's also the address you register to in order to add a new device.

In Asterisk the AOR you place a call to is the extension in the dialplan. It resolves into a SIP account and then to the registred devices.

So in fact we have two AOR's - the one you call to and the one you register to. In Asterisk they're different.

I would prefer that the AOR stays as a name for the extension, what you dial to, and that we separate that from what we register to. That's just an account.

Calling one AOR - the business card style address in SIP - could resolve into many sip devices.

I think using AOR for the registration account will confuse many, since you can't call it without an extension in the dialplan.

From over ten years of teaching this stuff, I think it's important that we have proper names for things.

In the rest of the world this is just "SIP accounts". Let's call them that.

Or follow my old suggestion - to have "devices", "services" and "trunks" as account types.

/O