[asterisk-dev] backport RAII_VAR to 1.8?

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Fri May 17 12:35:25 CDT 2013

On 13-05-17 01:22 PM, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> On 05/17/2013 10:46 AM, Richard Mudgett wrote:
>>> I'm working on a fairly invasive set of fixes that apply to 1.8. It
>>> would be really handy to be able to use RAII_VAR there since I
>>> intend to submit the same fix for 11 and trunk, as well.
>>>

>>> Is there any reason we can't include RAII_VAR in 1.8?
>>
>> The only reason I can think of is some OS versions have old compilers
>> that do not support the gcc feature used for RAII_VAR.
>> CentOS comes to mind.
>>

> It is the greatest thing since sliced bread...
>
> I do know that when we added it, we had at least one bug report from
> someone who was using clang to compile Asterisk. We opted not to remove
> RAII_VAR, but at least at the time 11 was new, and they still had 1.8 to
> use.
>
> Backporting it to 1.8 midstream would be a hard stop to anyone
> attempting to compile Asterisk with anything other than gcc - which is,
> admittedly, unsupported.
>
> I don't think that's a show-stopper, but it is probably the largest risk
> that I can think of. I'm personally fine with it, but at least wanted to
> note that before you went ahead and did it.

A better question would be, would you backport it into certified
asterisk too?

I'm always against backporting to a release branch, simply because we
never can fully predict the results. That said, I'm still at 1.8.7.1, so
as long as we expect bug reports to happen and we address any
regressions with higher priority, but that is just my opinion.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)