[asterisk-dev] backport RAII_VAR to 1.8?

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri May 17 12:22:12 CDT 2013

On 05/17/2013 10:46 AM, Richard Mudgett wrote:
>> I'm working on a fairly invasive set of fixes that apply to 1.8. It
>> would be really handy to be able to use RAII_VAR there since I
>> intend to submit the same fix for 11 and trunk, as well.
>>

>> Is there any reason we can't include RAII_VAR in 1.8?
>
> The only reason I can think of is some OS versions have old compilers
> that do not support the gcc feature used for RAII_VAR.
> CentOS comes to mind.

It is the greatest thing since sliced bread...

I do know that when we added it, we had at least one bug report from
someone who was using clang to compile Asterisk. We opted not to remove
RAII_VAR, but at least at the time 11 was new, and they still had 1.8 to
use.

Backporting it to 1.8 midstream would be a hard stop to anyone
attempting to compile Asterisk with anything other than gcc - which is,
admittedly, unsupported.

I don't think that's a show-stopper, but it is probably the largest risk
that I can think of. I'm personally fine with it, but at least wanted to
note that before you went ahead and did it.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager