[asterisk-dev] Time to rename chan_gulp?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Fri May 3 14:10:01 CDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Andrew Latham <lathama at gmail.com> wrote:
> My personal feelings are to use chan_sip name for the work in
> chan_gulp and mark the origional sip work with a chan_sip1 or
> chan_oldsip.
>
> I don't expect a lot of agreement but its how things are done in some circles.

We tend not to do things in this camp that have a tendency to severely
*break* anybody doing a single major version upgrade.  For that reason
alone, I think such a proposal is a non-starter.  It might otherwise
be possible for the "SIP" prefix to float between modules, such that
for the next version, "SIP" is defaulted towards the old driver, with
the old driver also possessing a name like "SIP1", thus allowing
admins to transition the name at their own pace, or even keep the old
name solidly on the old driver ad infinitum.