[asterisk-dev] iLBC, 30ms

Malcolm Davenport malcolmd at digium.com
Wed Jul 17 14:07:56 CDT 2013

Howdy,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Jared Smith <jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Malcolm Davenport <malcolmd at digium.com>wrote:
>
>> The patch on that issue does a wholesale replacement of 30ms iLBC with
>> 20ms.  Such a change in a release branch, or even trunk, seems
>> scary/bad/perilous - especially noting compatibility with previous versions
>> .  But, if no one uses 30ms iLBC, perhaps it doesn't matter, and perhaps a
>> horde of people will be able to more effectively use iLBC.
>>
>> What say you?
>>

> To me, this sounds like a hack -- forcing a codec to a particular (and
> non-default) packet duration.  Why not figure out what's going wrong with
> the transcoding, instead of just band-aiding it?

I'm in that camp.  Based on the request for bump though, and noting that
Digium's otherwise fully involved (see Asterisk 12) and doesn't have free
resources to worry about this at the moment, I offered that I'd put it out
there to get the pulse of the community (I don't think a band-aid is a good
idea either).

> --
> Jared Smith
>

> --