[asterisk-dev] [why I cannot write to ast_channel_exten(chan)]

Walter Doekes walter+asterisk-dev at osso.nl
Thu Jan 24 02:00:48 CST 2013

On 24/01/13 07:11, Jeremy Kister wrote:
>  > ast_copy_string(ast_channel_exten(chan), results,
> sizeof(ast_channel_exten(chan)) - 1);

ast_copy_string takes a non-const char, because it will be writing to it.

ast_channel_exten returns a const-string, which is by definition immutable.

If you try to write to a const, you'll get compiler warnings in the best
case and undefined mayhem in the worst.

This change was the "channel opaqification" introduced in asterisk 12.
If means you're not allowed to read/write from/to any channel internals
directly anymore.

I.e. not chan->exten, but ast_channel_exten() for reading, and probably
a writing counterpart.

Let's see:

   $ grep ast_channel_exten . -r
   ast_channel_exten_set(transferee, ast_channel_exten(chan1));

That looks like a likely candidate.

In include/asterisk/channel.h, the getters and setters are placed
conveniently right next to each other:

   const char *ast_channel_context(const struct ast_channel *chan);
   void ast_channel_context_set(struct ast_channel *chan, const char
*value);

   const char *ast_channel_exten(const struct ast_channel *chan);
   void ast_channel_exten_set(struct ast_channel *chan, const char *value);

   const char *ast_channel_macrocontext(const struct ast_channel *chan);
   void ast_channel_macrocontext_set(struct ast_channel *chan, const
char *value);

Cheers,
/w