[asterisk-dev] SIP: So you mean you want to be able to *dial* something?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Feb 22 09:19:36 CST 2013

Hey all,

I've been tackling the area of outbound session creation in the new SIP
work and the concept of location in general. I've experimented with
stuff and ended up breaking it into two parts:

* Note #1: all of this is in a branch and has not yet been put up for
review. I'd just like to hold a discussion about the usage aspect.
** Note #2: you can still dial straight up SIP URIs regardless of this work.

Storage

There's a new small and straight forward API in the SIP work for
location. It allows querying for an AOR, getting contacts, adding
contacts, and updating contacts. It's really a thin wrapper around the
new sorcery API that adds automatic expiration of expired contacts and
also static contacts. Since it's using sorcery all of this can be stored
wherever someone wants it (flat file, local database, remote database,
etc). Yes, you can have multiple contacts for an AOR. The underlying API
does not forbid this. For external manipulation (a device registering)
then the registrar would use this API and enforce any restrictions on
contacts.

Usage

When I say usage I'm referring to actually using the above information
for the purposes of setting up a session. I've sort of
demoed/accomplished this twofold:

The GULP_DIAL_CONTACTS dialplan function produces a properly formatted
dial string which creates a channel for each contact on an AOR. This can
be pretty expensive, since you've got an Asterisk channel + RTP instance
+ SIP internal structure + pjsip internals, but it works!

You can dial just the AOR. This uses a single Asterisk channel, a single
SIP internal structure, a single RTP instance, but multiple pjsip
internal structures. It's not as heavy as GULP_DIAL_CONTACTS but
accomplishes the same thing in the end and yes, it works. This was
really a *can I do this* thing and a few hours later it was up and running.

So really, my questions are:

1. Do we want my current usage options to go into the new SIP work?

2. If not, how do we want to expose multiple contacts on an AOR?

3. If we don't want to, then do we even want to support multiple
contacts (for different targets) on an AOR?

4. What would *you* like usage of this to be like?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp