[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Test Suite: Proposed Logging Change

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Dec 9 18:34:37 CST 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Scott Griepentrog
<sgriepentrog at digium.com>wrote:

> So you're saying put the logs/full.txt and logs/messages.txt files in the
> /tmp/asterisk-testsuite path, and only copy them down to the
> logs/test/path/*.txt on a failure?

Kind of.

Currently, the python logger.conf configures what log files are made. It is
what specifies that all tests append to a full.txt and messages.txt, as
well as what log levels go into them. Those sections would be removed. If
someone wanted a specific log file, they could of course just add one into
logger.conf - which is true today.

logger.conf would continue to be used for setting log classes, their
default log levels, log message formatters, and other such things.

The TestCase class today is what actually initializes the logging library
for each test. Since log files are no longer produced from logger.conf
(they can't, as the static configuration file doesn't know what the test
paths are - those are created at run time), TestCase will instruct the
logging library where to place the log files.

I'm proposing that it would place them in /tmp/asterisk-testsuite/[name of
test]/. Since a single test run may create multiple instances of Asterisk,
we may want to (finally) group the various log files together into an
actual test run folder. Originally, we used to only have Asterisk logs in
there, but with this change, we'd have pcaps, test log files, as well as
the Asterisk log files.

Archiving would generally work the same - a test failure would copy the
failing test's files over to logs/.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager