[asterisk-dev] Changing Line voltage of a FXS card

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sat Aug 3 12:30:16 CDT 2013

Hello Ahmet,
  are you sure that FXS cards will be happy with a foreign voltage provided
by the far end ? They are made to provide their own voltage, not to be fed
from the B-side. I don't know exact hardware design of the cards you've
mentioned, but I have some experience with various telco hardware and FXS
cards with current feed turned off obviously don't behave like FXO cards -
namely, they don't maintain a regular loop, which you probably require. When
supplied with external voltage to a sleeping FXS card, it depends on the
polarity - in the "native" polarity there is no current through the card,
and in the reverse polarity the current may be there, but it's mostly caused
by protection circuits (diodes) and it's not going through the regular paths
speech currents are supposed to flow.
  With regards,
    Pavel