[asterisk-dev] Time to rename chan_gulp?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Apr 29 08:01:35 CDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> Friends,
>
> Now that gulp/pimp_my_sip is merged I think it's time to abandon the funny
> names and find a more long term solution for the channel name and the dial
> string identifier. I see no reason to deprecate SIP for chan_sip - I would
> encourage people running both channels while testing and while the new
> channel driver is getting stable and up to par. Having to switch between
> them doesn't make sense when you can run one on 5060 and another on 5080 or
> something similar.
>
> Just to start the discussion I propose that we rename the driver to
> chan_sipng
>
> and that the identifier in the dial strings become SIPNG/xxxx
>
> /O
> --

Totally whacky idea, but why not set a variable in sip.conf in the general
section, the 'peer' or whatever section (allow= or use=, maybe)

I haven't been following it, but is the end goal to have one sip channel
driver all merged together in the end.

Maybe I am way off base, but could and would it make sense for endpoints to
negotiate as they would a codec?

I would much prefer "fixing" depricated .conf files directly related to the
channel driver, such as sip.conf than to have to much around in dialplan
when the time comes.

Again, I may be talking out of turn, just ideas from my understanding of
"What it was, what it is, and what it shall be."

Thanks,
Steve T