[asterisk-dev] Early Media With Ringback

Joshua Elson joshelson at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 7 11:44:47 CDT 2013

I am looking at reviving a version of this issue:

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-10487

We have an issue with early media and the Dial 'r' option.  We run our own LCR on a big portion of our traffic.  We occasionally have issues with upstream carriers hanging onto an INVITE attempt provisionally for multiple seconds.  We can use the 'r' option to provide ringback to our caller so they know we're attempting the call.  However, when we use 'r', we do not receive early media.  This is a problem, as a number of IVRs these days run the first tree selection or disambiguation in early media.  So some random numbers will appear broken to our customers.

I updated the 10487 patch for Asterisk 11, and re-implemented the 'R' option, which offers ring with early media interruption.

Updated code is here:

http://pastebin.com/ywxBVAid

I know there's been a long running discussion about this patch and its applicability.

Josh