[asterisk-dev] [JIRA] Closed: (ASTERISK-17367) [patch] AGI streamfile turns off moh, doesn't turn it on

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Fri Sep 28 07:18:08 CDT 2012

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>>> Josh,
>>
>> Hola,
>>
>>> I don't agree - in many other parts of Asterisk - and in the AGI - we
>>> turn generators on after we're done with the requested operation. I
>>> think that should be the default. If not, you will have to add
>>> documentation that clearly CLEARLY states that the AGI streamfile
>>> command turns off music on hold and it will stay off.
>>
>> I've looked over the tree and I just don't see this happening like you
>> say it does. Can you provide some examples? The cases that I see where
>> something like music on hold is stopped and started are situations
>> where it is explicitly expected and defined to do so, for example the
>> Queue application when playing an announcement.
> Haven't got the source code now, but I do not expect musiconhold to stop
> until I say so in any channel.

Personally I expect the opposite. If I start doing something that would
naturally stop musiconhold to perform its action I wouldn't expect it to
suddenly start playing again afterwards, and I think a lot of people
would feel the same way as me. That's sorta why I think this issue has
never come up in all these years, people just don't expect the same
behavior that you are in this situation.

>> As for changing the default behavior it's been like this for many,
>> many, many years. Changing something that appears to be so simple but
>> really fundamentally changes the behavior I really am against. I can
>> see people using this behavior without expecting it. Ultimately in my
>> view it would have to be another knob you turn on which effectively
>> does the same as calling set music from the AGI afterwards OR a trunk
>> only change so we don't surprise everyone.
> In the issue I also commented on this, wanting a setting, but changing
> default behaviour in new releases.

I'm going to start a discussion on the -users list to see if I can
gather any input from individuals who are not on this list but still are
users of this overall. I'm genuinely interested in what people there may
have to say about.

>> As for documentation, okay! That's reasonable.
> Go ahead!

Making the changes, checking them twice.

--
Joshua Colp