[asterisk-dev] GSM Encryption

sab sab sabin_098765 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 01:21:02 CDT 2012

> On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 12:14 -0700, sab sab wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question that is troubling me and I don't know where to ask
>> it. I posted this question on the asterisk forums but no answer.
>> I have this idea to build a security module based on asterisk and
>> raspberry pi to secure GSM calls(not gprs, not 3g etc.) . I know that
>> there is an encryption( A5 ) involved that was cracked and so on and I
>> want to build a stronger one over it, to secure end to end
>> conversations. Basicly I want to build a new module that you can stack
>> over chan_mobile( for bluetooth connection to the mobile phone ) that
>> offers channel encryption. The fantasy would consist of:
>>
>> * authentication( certificates maybe, designated keys probably )
>> * encryption
>> * voice signaling for plain channel or secure channel link( voice that
>> announces the attribute of the link )
>>
>> Now I ask you, is this feasible?
>>

>With asterisk anything (*) is possible.
>
>Problem however is the other end, the GSM-handset.
>Only option at the moment afaics, is with smart-phones.
>There you can install soft-phone-clients, that can do encryption.
>Point however is, that con can only make secure call doing data-calls.
>
>"Linphone is now available as an Android application.
>This application is available through the Google Market for all people
>having an Android phone. It is possible to use linphone on android to
>make VoIP calls using wifi or 3G (make sure it is allowed by your
>operator before)."
>
>for example: http://www.linphone.org/eng/linphone/news/android.html
>This is the first release of linphone on android, and we wish to
>continue the development in the coming year to bring many improvements,
>including:
>     * run as a service to allow to receive calls all the time (not
>      just when the application is showed)
>      * video support
>      * optimize battery savings
>
>Mobile phones interfaces
>     * Android application (with video support)
>      * iPhone/iPad application (with video support)
>      * Blackberry application (no video support yet)
>
>There might be other softphones doing the same trick.
>
>hw

Thank you for your reply, but I don't want to use a smart phone to do this or the data connection of the phone. Basically this is were I want to get:

wifi network ->wifi adapter raspberry pi -> asterisk raspberry pi ("routing")-> ENCRYPTION(personal flavour) ->(chan_mobile)bluetooth adapter raspberry pi->phone with bluetooth ->voice connection

Can this be done?