[asterisk-dev] Asterisk CREDITS

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Thu Oct 11 09:57:53 CDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 09:41 AM, Andrew Latham wrote:
> All
>
> While working on Doxygen I have found many inline credits in the
> "\file" stanza and other locations of apps, resources, core components
> and etc.  I started the work of merging all this info into the CREDITS
> file.  I then cleaned up the formatting of CREDITS white-space and
> even noticed some duplication.  This is an ongoing issue and one topic
> that I discussed with Tilghman was about the formatting of an email
> address for anti spam.  In response to our emails I realized that many
> of the email addresses are out of date...  eg tilghman at digium.com
> bounces mail. A persons name and email in combination are an
> identifier currently.
>
> Everyone please offer your opinions on the following points.
>
> 1. Should email addresses be altered for anti spam purposes?

I wouldn't be against that.  Did you have an obfuscation in mind?

> 2. Could we maybe update the repotools "authors" file with the license
> numbers for each person?

That's not a bad idea.  There are times (particularly in JIRA) when all
you have is the license number for a particular patch.  I can look into
that, unless anyone objects.

> 3. Should we link to or transclude the repotools "authors" file?

Hm.  Sometimes the authors file is out of date, just like the source.
I'm not sure linking to it will definitively help.  What you're doing -
doing a sanity check on the authors in the source and making sure their
contact information is available and accurate - is probably the only
sure thing.

> 4. Should all inline credits be moved to CREDITS or should I just
> create a Doxygen group for them?

CREDITS hasn't been updated very regularly.  If someone would like to
update it with what they've contributed, but I'm not sure that moving
the credits in the \file stanza is needed.  Some things in the \file
stanza are useful for that file but don't feel like they need to be
listed in the CREDITS - the fact that I wrote some jitter buffer unit
tests is useful if you're looking at unit tests, but I don't think I
need to be known for that in the CREDITS.

> 5. Thanks for making this far, have you checked your name/email
> correctness in Asterisk/Credits or the repotools "authors" file?

(I hope mine is)

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager