[asterisk-dev] Asterisk.org online Doxygen Docs

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 07:48:12 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 12:56 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>>
>> 10 okt 2012 kl. 04:54 skrev Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com>:
>>

>> I think you are wrong. Since there was a reduction in documentation in the source
>> code - the wiki move - it can't hurt to add. Do remember that the code lives it's own
>> life and is quite often the only thing people have.
>
> At the same time, having things documented in multiple places is why
> things often end up out of sync.  It is a large enough task to keep
> documentation up to date and accurate in a single place; having to do so
> in multiple places doesn't seem sustainable.
>
>> I encourage any attempt to expand the in-source documentation. I still miss the
>> channel variable document that used to live in the source. It should come back,
>> so it's always available for anyone.
>
> The channel variable document was quite good (although it wasn't in
> doxygen either, but that's a different problem).  Most of the
> information contained in it is on the wiki; however, I'm sure there's
> something in it that isn't.  That may be the case for other documents as
> well.
>
> In general, I'd prefer to focus on putting that information on the wiki.
>  It provides much greater flexibility not only in keeping the
> information up to date, i.e., you don't have to have subversion commit
> access to make documentation updates, but it also has the ability to
> embed diagrams, code markup, tables, etc.
>
> I understand some people prefer this information to live in the source
> tree - however, what I want to avoid is doubling the maintenance effort
> on documentation.  If there's a way to accomplish that without having to
> enter the information in multiple locations, I'd support it.
>

> --
> Matthew Jordan
> Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager
> Check us out at: http://digium.com & http://asterisk.org

Can some one show me where the community resources are documented on
the wiki.  That Doxygen page was going to be suggested for the wiki in
a few days as part of my overall plan of attack.  I got bogged down in
the thousands of lines of poorly documented code.

--
~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com http://lathama.net ~