[asterisk-dev] Case-sensitivity of Dialplan variables.

Walter Doekes walter+asterisk-dev at osso.nl
Tue Oct 2 09:52:42 CDT 2012

>> ("HASH" would be evaluated properly but "hash") would not. My personal
>> opinion is that all variable evaluations should be case-sensitive. I
>> don't feel all that strongly about it though and could easily be
>> swayed the other way if people respond overwhelmingly in opposition.
>
> +1 for case insensitivity for all namespaces.

My opinion: case sensitive.

Don't delegate stuff to runtime (strcasecmp) that a good editor and/or
good eyes should cover.

There are always going to be case sensitive bits left (dialplan options,
for starters). Better do everything in the proper case the first time.

I'd consider writing a basic on-dialplan-load check to warn people of
case mistakes if that sways the opinion towards case-sensitive.

Regards,
Walter