[asterisk-dev] Case-sensitivity of Dialplan variables.

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Oct 1 13:03:57 CDT 2012

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012, Mark Michelson wrote:

> First off, this inconsistency is just weird. It would be much easier to
> just have things work one way or the other, not to have this mix.

+1 for case insensitive.

> Some of you might be eager to propose a configuration option to decide
> which it should be. I'm sick of having hundreds of options in Asterisk
> to slightly tweak the behavior one way or another. This needs to go one
> way or the other, not be configurable.

-1 for configuration options likely to introduce subtle and difficult to
find bugs.

(OT)

+1 for a dialplan configuration option that would output a warning if you
reference a variable that has not been defined. (Unless the performance
penalty is huge, I'd probably run with this option always on.)

> When considering which way you lean, consider that we really don't have
> much of a precedent to go on. For instance, dialplan applications are
> case-insensitive ("answer" and "Answer" and "ANSWER") are all the same.
> Dialplan functions, on the other hand, are case sensitive ("HASH" would
> be evaluated properly but "hash") would not. My personal opinion is that
> all variable evaluations should be case-sensitive. I don't feel all that
> strongly about it though and could easily be swayed the other way if
> people respond overwhelmingly in opposition.

+1 for case insensitivity for all namespaces.

> So respond here and let me know what you think. Also let me know if this
> should be posted on the -users list.

+1 for asking the 'commoners' :)

--
Thanks in advance,