[asterisk-dev] Testers wanted (I mean YOU) for Comfort Noise labs

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Nov 19 07:17:03 CST 2012

Friends,

My work with comfort noise support in Asterisk took a big leap forward today. I had a version that
replaced the lack of frames with music on hold, but today it was swapped out and I now use the
noise generator contributed by cmantunes earlier.

This only applies to the core bridge (at least that's what I tested). I will investigate what's needed
for app_queue and possibly if needed, the rtp bridge.

Asterisk will properly negotiate CN support in SDP and will take incoming CNG frames and
either forward over the bridge (if the other side of the call supports CN) or generate noise
until audio frames are received.

I have not added a silence generator, so asterisk will not generate it's own CN frames and
suppress silence. This is a coming step. At least we can now bridge a call with full CN
support.

If you want to help me test, check out this branch
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/oej/roibos-cng-support-1.8

Check the README.roibos-cng.txt file for more information.

A big thank you to Matt Jordan and Joshua Colp for guidelines and ideas on this work.

/O