[asterisk-dev] 13 November, 2012 New SIP stack update

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Nov 14 07:43:04 CST 2012

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Is Sofia out of the picture then? Seems so from the outside.

 From my perspective I consider sofia to be a non-starter as the former
upstream for it is now abandoned. Freeswitch has forked it and has
continued to fix issues, but it's not actively being developed with new
features. Basing our brand new SIP channel driver on that seems like a
bad decision for the future. We'd most likely end up back where we are -
being the maintainers (even partially) of an entire SIP stack, including
being responsible for implementing new RFCs etc. That's not something I
want for us again. I'd rather we try to put as much of our time and
effort into the higher level application part. That's not to say we
won't do stuff with the SIP stack, but it shouldn't be a primary focus.

That's my view.

--
Joshua Colp