[asterisk-dev] Project Planning Template

Dan Jenkins dan.jenkins at holidayextras.com
Sat Nov 3 08:20:43 CDT 2012

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I wasn't at AstriDevCon and I'm not entirely sure how you
currently manage the different projects that go into major releases; but we
utilise Jira heavily at my place of work and it seems like you could too
(outside of just making jiras and working on them). Firstly, the wiki page
in Confluence is a great "human readable" overview of what the project is,
what it aims to do, what's going to be involved and so I'd absolutely keep
that; but it seems like you'd want more within Jira itself - for the people
working directly on the project.

Firstly, this process seems like a lot of work (and I wasn't a fan when we
changed over to this), but it really does help and makes the team working
on the project very clear on what needs doing, what the requirements are
etc.

When we get a project in, we get a list of requirements with it - this
comes in the form of an "Epic" jira, which has a list of requirements
within it.

We, as developers, break these requirements down into chunks of work called
"stories", each story is a deliverable - this would maybe be a little
different for you, but i can imagine a story would be "construct AMI
events", "construct AGI" and so on. Stories are high level bits of work.

These stories get linked to the Epic as "fulfilled by" in Jira.

Then within each of these stories we break down everything that we need to
do to complete that story. These are called "dev tasks" within our workflow
and are sub tasks to the story within jira.

In the end you should have your Epic (with requirements), Stories which are
linked to the epic (all your stories should complete your requirements) and
then dev tasks which are sub tasks to the stories.

I'm not sure on the limitations of your Jira installation as I know
Atlassian give different plans different functionality.

This would then allow you to make dashboards (if you wanted) for different
projects; allowing people to glance at a project and really understand
where everything is etc.

Like I said at the beginning, you might already be doing all of this within
Jira; but I've had little experience of your workflows within Jira (only
ever submitted bugs).

Am I telling you something you know about already?

Dan

--
Dan Jenkins - Senior Web Developer
email: dan.jenkins at holidayextras.com