[asterisk-dev] Wrong SIP to SIP SIP Cause mapping

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri May 25 11:10:29 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

As has already been pointed out, Asterisk is a B2BUA, not a proxy.  There
is no guarantee that a response from one UA will be 'passed through'
Asterisk to another UA.  I won't weigh in on whether or not this qualifies
as a bug or merely a change in behavior.  The fact that Asterisk is not a
proxy gives weight to this being not a bug; that being said, there is a
definite difference between a 4xx and a 5xx response, which would give some
weight to this being a bug.

The change in behavior was mostly likely introduced by r351130.  This fixed
some issues wherein, on a response to a 404, merely queueing a congestion
control frame was not sufficient to tear down the channel.  The congestion
control frame was replaced with an explicit channel hang up with a cause of
AST_CAUSE_CONGESTION, which maps to a SIP response type of "503".

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer