[asterisk-dev] app Swift() hangs

Justin Killen jkillen at allamericanasphalt.com
Fri May 25 11:09:09 CDT 2012

I have and automated call-in dispatch system where hundreds of people call in daily for 2-3 minutes each. The extension is set up to get their information, then text-to-speech the dispatch information (via odbc). It then loops 5 times then ends the call. These calls are being handled by an 8 port analog digium card.
Sometimes though, I see calls via 'core show channel dahdi/1-1' that have a time of > 16 hours.  When a channel gets in this state, the call doesn't seem to progress through the dialplan, they always display the TTS line. Doing a 'dahdi destroy channel 1-1' doesn't seem to be effective - the only way I've been able to clear the calls is to do a 'dahdi restart' and/or restart the asterisk service.
After some investigating and help from the asterisk-users list, problem has been narrowed down to the Swift() app getting stuck (the Swift app is a wrapper around the cepstral text-to-speech engine).
Here is the output from the cli:
dozer*CLI> core show channels
Channel Location State Application(Data)
DAHDI/5-1 s at DB_LOOKUP:24 Up Swift(""Schedule for employee
1 active channel
1 active call
1528 calls processed
dozer*CLI> core show channel dahdi/5-1