[asterisk-dev] Reload module

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Thu May 24 08:21:53 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

If you knew this method existed, why did you ask if "Is there any possibility
to load/unload/reload specific module from other C module?"  Clearly there
was a mechanism to reload a specific module in Asterisk.  Did you expect
there to be multiple mechanisms?

Its not surprising that there would be a warning associated with this
method - it is highly suspect that an external module would want or need
to reload another external module.  There are a number of pitfalls you could
run into by encouraging the use of this function in external modules:
* Circular dependencies, wherein A reloads B, and during B's reload, it
  attempts to reload A
* Unanticipated reloads, wherein B does not expect to be reloaded during
  a particular operation or period of time and A reloads it anyway (this
  is less of a concern, given that reloads can feasibly happen at anytime
  anyway)
* Poor dependency planning, wherein A expects B to exist and issues a reload
  but B was never loaded
* Simultaneous reloads, wherein A issues a reload of module B and a CLI
  command issues a reload of B at the same time

So yes, you really should not be doing what you're planning on doing - but
you didn't ask if we thought what you were doing was wise, merely whether
or not it was possible.  And it is possible.

As far as avoiding deadlocks: that's up to your implementation.  I will not
claim that you 'won't run into deadlocks' with this method.  At the very
least, the method is executed in the context of a CLI handler thread, so
you can make some basic assumptions about the thread safety from that
knowledge. But its up to you to make sure you don't cause a deadlock in the
modules you reload.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer