[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Remove chan_usbradio and app_rpt.

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Mar 11 00:25:39 CST 2012

On 03/11/2012 02:04 PM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM, wrote:
>>> Irrelevant, because Digium never made the Tormenta ISA card.
>> They made the drivers.
> Not the original ones, no.  The original drivers were from BSD.  As
> best as I can tell, everything was written no earlier than 2000.  See
> the copyright on the website and within the individual source files.
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010302223218/http://www.bsdtelephony.com.mx/zapata-current.tar.gz
> If you look through the code, as I have, you'll find that the term
> "zaptel" is not mentioned anywhere.  Everything refers to Zapata
> Telephony or Tormenta.  "Zaptel" was a later abbreviation by Mark
> Spencer, when he ported Jim Dixon's drivers to Linux.
>
> The full site (unfortunately, the ported Linux package was not
> archived, so I cannot see what was there):
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010302223218/http://www.bsdtelephony.com.mx/
The original "BSD telephony of Mexico" driver and applications code for
the Tormenta 1 card was completed at the end of 1999, when the first
Tormenta 1 card was available as a T1 card. By about Feb of 2000 I had
modified a card to work as an E1 card, and my changes went into the main
repository. That was about the time Mark Spencer started taking an
interest in the work.

It seems that as soon as the first T1 card worked, all the work in
Mexico ended. I don't think I ever inquired of Jim Dixon why that happened.

Steve