[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Remove chan_usbradio and app_rpt.

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Mar 10 22:35:04 CST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Steve Totaro <
stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at meg.abyt.es>wrote:

>> original

>> > Read above.
>>
>> Zaptel Corporation apparently started using the mark in 1999 or
>> before, the date of the registration of the mark.  Digium (previously
>> Linux Support Services) released the first version of Zaptel, version
>> 0.1.0, in 2001.

>> > Doubtful, There was a three year moratorium on transitioning from the
>> Zaptel
>> > name.  You would probably have noted that if you really knew the true
>> story.
>>
>> I was working for Digium at the time.  There was no three year
>> moratorium, just that Digium was busy on other things, and Zaptel
>> Corporation had been really patient with Digium about the infringement
>> of their mark, but finally demanded that Digium do something about the
>> infringement.
>>

> Probably because they had no leg to stand on, and Digium backed down which
> is usually the case.
>
> Again, it was a win-win for Digium, they could get a trademark on their
> own name, cut out Jim Dixon and avoid the annoyance of this calling card
> company who would have probably backed down.
>
> Did they sue or just make allegations?
>
> You keep dodging the relevance of the usage of Asterisk being banned by
> Google Adwords at the same time that DAHDI was going on.  I don't think
> there was ever response to Trixter's Open Letter to Digium, I will have to
> check.
>
> I think it was just kind of left out there to be forgotten.  Whoops, we
> hold the trademark so we hold the power.
>

>> >  So in 2005 the decision was made to change from Zaptel to something
>> that
>> > Digium could put a trademark on.
>>
>> The decision was that since we were getting bitten by a trademark
>> issue on the name, we would find a name that we could put a trademark
>> on, such that we would not have to go through that rename a second
>> time.  There were lots of proposals internally, and the particular
>> name (and spelling) of DAHDI was based upon a trademark search to
>> ensure that we weren't infringing on anything else.
>>

> Doubtful, until I see a court date, there is no issue.  The best they
> could do in court is force a name change......  No damages, I doubt they
> would even bother since the companies do completely different things.  Jim
> still has his project name.

>> > Again, the driver for the first Tormenta card was called zaptel.
>>
>> Irrelevant, because Digium never made the Tormenta ISA card.
>>

> They made the drivers.
>

>> > I did the research, the timelines on when Digium started using the
>> Zaptel
>> > name from the Zapata Telephony project are not defined and I cannot
>> find the
>> > code.  I will check the repo and see how far it goes back, to .3 I
>> think,
>> > frame relay.

> [...]

Just for reference and info for anyone not familiar with Digium's Adwords
Debacle.

Trixter, AKA Bret, wrote a very good letter and a good thread on the topic
evolved, I am re-reading since I didn't follow the entire thread.

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-biz/2008-June/026875.html

What was the date of the release of DAHDI?

Thanks,
Steve Totaro