[asterisk-dev] Deprecation of cdr_mysql

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Wed Jul 11 10:16:18 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Mark Michelson <mmichelson at digium.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 09:02 AM, Paul Belanger wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I must have missed the discussion - can someone please explain to me why
>>> cdr_mysql is marked as deprecated in 1.8?
>>>
>> It started with this review[1] and turned into this wiki page[2]
>>
>> Basically there is a better way to do it (ODBC) and nobody wanted to
>> maintain the module.  After Asterisk 11 drops, I suspect you'll see
>> some patches starting to remove some of the deprecated modules from
>> source.
>>
>> [1] https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/1181/
>> [2]
>> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Module+Support+States
>>

> Let me chime in and say that removing deprecated modules is unlikely to
> occur unless we have a suitable drop-in replacement that we are willing to
> support.

The argument could be made, the reason for it being moved to
deprecated in the first place was because there is another module that
can provide the same functionality.

The reality is this is usually not the case.  Nine times out of ten it
is because we no longer want to do bug fixes for said module.

For example, look at app_meetme.  It is a deprecated module in favour
of app_confbridge, however app_confbridge is not a drop in
replacement.

So with that, I believe the current reason we deprecate a module is
simple because we don't want to do bug fixes any more, not because the
new module will provide the same or better functionality.

Regarding removal, I suspect it will likely happen when a module no
longer compiles.  app_rpt comes to mind, as we dropped it mid release.

IIRC, we don't enable deprecated modules by default and I'd have to
check if we even build them for the testsuite.  If that is the case,
we have already set them up to be broken sooner or later and then
removed.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)