[asterisk-dev] [Code Review]: SDP Media Attribute Interface + H.263/H.264 Format Attribute Modules

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Jul 3 09:34:05 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

> >> Paul Belanger wrote:
> >>      Agreed, I think also adding unit tests before 'ship it' would
> >>      be acceptable here.
> >
> > Unit tests are a separate issue, but I wanted to get eyes on this
> > before going down that road.
> >
> Why separate?  Trying to understand why we as a project don't focus
> more
> on unit tests first before writing code and merging it.

By having sub-tasks it's easier to see where things are and keep track of progress. Granular to a certain degree is good. From the review point of view I *could* have waited and just put everything (this code and unit tests) all up at once but I didn't as I didn't want it to linger and forget about what I've done. This code also won't get merged before the unit tests are done. Of course as you said I could have done unit tests first and written the code to that, it's just a different development methodology.

> Is it a time thing or just too much work getting a box setup for unit
> tests?  Also, do people see value in having our code review tool run
> 'tests' before said patch is merged into svn?

There isn't a time thing or too much work issue for me... I wanted to get eyes on it now while it was fresh in my mind.

--
Joshua Colp
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer