[asterisk-dev] Why is "core show channels concise" deprecated?

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Tue Jan 24 17:40:44 CST 2012

 From: "Mark Michelson" <mmichelson at digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:10 PM
To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Why is "core show channels concise"
deprecated?

On 01/24/2012 04:59 PM, Bryant Zimmerman wrote:  Danny Nicholas pointed out
to me the info below about the concise option be deprecated. My question is
if it is going to pulled long term why is the verbose option truncating the
information. They both have a different purpose the verbose option is not
useful as it does not return the full data. This would kill all of our
outside channel monitoring code that uses the asterisk -rx "core show
channels concise". What is the thinking behind this move.
 From cli.c (asterisk 10)
            e->command = "core show channels [concise|verbose|count]";
                e->usage =
                        "Usage: core show channels
[concise|verbose|count]\n"
                        "       Lists currently defined channels and some
information about them. If\n"
                        "       'concise' is specified, the format is
abridged and in a more easily\n"
                        "       machine parsable format. If 'verbose' is
specified, the output includes\n"
                        "       more and longer fields. If 'count' is
specified only the channel and call\n"
                        "       count is output.\n"
                        "       The 'concise' option is deprecated and will
be removed from future versions\n"
                        "       of Asterisk.\n";
                return NULL;

Thanks

Bryant   The thinking is that CLI commands are intended for human
consumption, not for parsing by code. This frees us to be able to make
changes to CLI commands when they have typos, are formatted badly, or are
missing information without the worry that it will mess up somebody's
parsing code.

The "core show channels verbose" command was written before this thinking
came into play. The preferred method for handling this sort of task is via
the Asterisk Manager Interface's CoreShowChannels command instead.

One thing that also should be mentioned is that we also operate under the
philosophy (since about 1.6.0 or thereabouts) that even when something
becomes deprecated, we won't remove it. People like to have stress-free
upgrades if at all possible, and so if it doesn't actually hurt to leave
the code in, then we'll leave it in. However, don't expect quick turnaround
if you report a bug in something that is declared deprecated, and don't
expect any updates to happen to deprecated code either.

Mark Michelson

Mark

Thank you for your reply. I see the point about the Asterisk Manager but I
have had it lock up over the years and don't fully trust it for our core
monitoring functions.  As for looking at the verbose option as human
usable.  By not showing the user the full channel info what use is it as it
can not be used for anthing. Say a channel has hung and a request needs to
be entered to hang it up. The verbose option does not show the full channel
ID  it is chopped off so you would be stuck and could not get the full id
if the concise were not there. This is also an issue when you do a sip show
peers as info is being chopped of. You get a pretty list of data but the
data is not usable to it's fullest.  We are building more of our tools
using the manager but it is nice to have the full info from the cli if
needed.

Thanks Again.

Bryant