[asterisk-dev] CDR issues - Can someone sanity check them?

Terry Wilson twilson at digium.com
Thu Jan 5 08:38:44 CST 2012

> > I 100% agree with your response. As mentioned in my previous post,
> > what I am attempting to do is to define the rules of the "CDR game"
> > on
> > the basis that
> >
> > 1) Any existing game rules that are valid cannot be broken
> > 2) Any undefined or clearly broken cases are fixed.
>
> I agree with your goal, but I think the real sticking point is that
> there aren't any written-down rules to follow, and the behavior has
> changed between major releases so people have adjusted their systems
> accommodate those changes.
>
> Certainly if someone wanted to *write* a set of rules and get
> community
> consensus on them that would be fantastic, but that's no small task.

I'm not even sure I agree with the goal. *Every* time we touch CDRs we seem to break something for someone. It is impossible to get consensus from the community on this kind of thing because there are probably (10s or 100s of?) thousands of users who will never know about the change until after the fact. I'd rather just let CDRs be historically consistent and "not optimal" and push people to use CEL. We've lost *months* of people's time to "fixing CDRs" with change after change being reverted (or even worse in some of the cases, not reverted).