[asterisk-dev] CDR issues - Can someone sanity check them?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jan 4 14:56:12 CST 2012

On 01/04/2012 11:49 AM, Steve Davies wrote:

> I 100% agree with your response. As mentioned in my previous post,
> what I am attempting to do is to define the rules of the "CDR game" on
> the basis that
>
> 1) Any existing game rules that are valid cannot be broken
> 2) Any undefined or clearly broken cases are fixed.

I agree with your goal, but I think the real sticking point is that
there aren't any written-down rules to follow, and the behavior has
changed between major releases so people have adjusted their systems to
accommodate those changes.

Certainly if someone wanted to *write* a set of rules and get community
consensus on them that would be fantastic, but that's no small task.

> The basic principle is that if an outbound channel is created, it will
> probably be costing us, so we need to track it properly. The inbound
> call information would be nice too if we can represent it as an aside.
> If you need to track transfers, conferences etc in full detail, then
> absolutely you need the additional info from CEL.

SO taking your first sentence here... you mean if an outbound channel is
created *and answered*. If there are costs you incur just for the
channel being created, without it being answered, then CDRs will have a
huge problem with outbound Dial() requests that generate multiple
simultaneous outbound channels.

> I believe the way forward if I am to see this through is for me to
> prepare a 1.8 or 10.0 version of what I currently have, and use the
> review-board once there is something to show. After all, people can
> only say "no" :)

Seems like a reasonable plan.

--
Kevin P. Fleming