[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] pabelanger: testsuite/asterisk/trunk r3070 - in /asterisk/trunk/tests/channel...

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Feb 28 16:19:42 CST 2012

> On 12-02-28 12:55 PM, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> > Paul:
> >
> > Since this test now uses SIPpTest, it no longer will check for the
> > AMI
> > event PeerStatus upon peer registration.  That seems to be a loss
> > of
> > functionality for this test - is there a reason why we wouldn't
> > want
> > to check for that?
> >
> Ya, I removed the check_register_result function because we use the
> result of SIPp to check for success of failure.  It seemed to make
> more
> sense to me.  SIPp registers to Asterisk so use the result from SIPp.

Except that all SIPp will tell you is that the responses it received
from Asterisk match what it expected.  That does not mean that Asterisk
actually registered the peers - merely that it sent a 200 OK in response
to the REGISTER message.

This test went a bit further and checked the PeerStatus to see if Asterisk
actually did register the peers where it expected they would be registered
to based on the SIP message.  While Asterisk could potentially lie and
state "yup, I registered them there" in the AMI message and yet associate
those peers with some other address, the likelihood of that is much lower
then failing to register the peers after it sent a 200 OK.

In other words: this test previously tested both proper SIP message handling
and the "business logic" involved with that message.  Now it just tests
the message handling.

> Additionally, the test is very basic, no passwords or any other
> authentication.  I'd rather add more scenario's for different types
> of
> REGISTER messages.
>
> However, if we think there is a lost in functionality (checking the
> manager event) it could be added back.

Personally, I think we should.

> --
> Paul Belanger
> Digium, Inc. | Software Developer
> twitter: pabelanger | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)
> Check us out at: http://digium.com & http://asterisk.org

Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer