[asterisk-dev] [Code Review]: Add a SIP nat=auto setting

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Feb 8 09:04:47 CST 2012

On 02/08/2012 08:54 AM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Well, I meant to talk to Saul about this on Sunday, but forgot...
>>

> Heh, no problem, email also works ;-)
>
>> After thinking about it some more, I am in agreement that having an
>> automatic mode to enable 'comedia' is warranted.
>>
>> I'm still not in favor of having an 'aggregated' setting like 'auto' though;
>> over the years we've run into plenty of cases where having aggregated
>> settings ended up causing problems, and we had to split them apart. So, my
>> proposal for this feature is to add an 'auto_comedia' option for the 'nat'
>> setting, and change the default to 'force_rport,auto_comedia'.
>>

> auto_comedia sounds right, but I'd still add an "auto" option which
> would be exactly the same as setting "force_rport,auto_comedia".
> Chances are that most of the times users wouldn't need to change the
> setting. If they run into trouble they'll need to change it, but since
> no option was removed by this patch they may manually set it to
> whatever.

The reason this has been an issue in the past is if we *ever* change the
meaning of 'auto' in the future, it's very disruptive to existing
installations. We ran into this with the 'insecure' setting, and the
'nat' setting (it's why 'force_rport' and 'comedia' are now separate,
but combinable, options).

I understand that users may not understand what these terms mean, but
the sample config file and other documentation can provide adequate
guidance for 'SIP newbie' users to get them going.

--
Kevin P. Fleming