[asterisk-dev] [Code Review]: Add a SIP nat=auto setting

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saghul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 08:54:58 CST 2012

Hi,

> Well, I meant to talk to Saul about this on Sunday, but forgot...

Heh, no problem, email also works ;-)

> After thinking about it some more, I am in agreement that having an
> automatic mode to enable 'comedia' is warranted.
>
> I'm still not in favor of having an 'aggregated' setting like 'auto' though;
> over the years we've run into plenty of cases where having aggregated
> settings ended up causing problems, and we had to split them apart. So, my
> proposal for this feature is to add an 'auto_comedia' option for the 'nat'
> setting, and change the default to 'force_rport,auto_comedia'.

auto_comedia sounds right, but I'd still add an "auto" option which
would be exactly the same as setting "force_rport,auto_comedia".
Chances are that most of the times users wouldn't need to change the
setting. If they run into trouble they'll need to change it, but since
no option was removed by this patch they may manually set it to
whatever.

In the Asterisk spanish community we get NAT questions very often, and
many people don't have a SIP background, so "force_rport" and
"comedia" are terms people are not familiar with. Of course, if "auto"
doesn't work for them then some reading is required.

My 2 cents,

--
/Saúl
http://saghul.net | http://sipdoc.net