[asterisk-dev] SIP Stack - Update

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Wed Dec 19 08:56:43 CST 2012

On 12/17/2012 01:59 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On 12-12-10 08:56 PM, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> Please don't solely take on the responsibility to create packages for
> pjproject. Approach upstream Debian and Fedora and provide intensives
> for help.

We aren't taking on the responsibility to create packages for Debian or
Fedora. As I stated in the original e-mail, the only packages we will be
producing are for CentOS.

I'm not sure what you mean by "provide incentives (sp)" for help. As far
as approaching upstream package maintainers, its fairly clear that a
number of package maintainers have already been involved in this thread.
Its a little premature to ask someone to make packages before a product
has a build system that allows for this; once that's in place we can
certainly ask if someone would be interested in producing said packages.

> Right now, we don't even do a good job even providing the latest
> versions of asterisk packages any more. And we already have a list of
> people complaining about the lack up updates.  I don't believe this is
> intentional, but a lack of resources.

For what distros? We provide packages for CentOS - and while the last
updates took a bit to get out, they are updated.

You are correct that we no longer are attempting to maintain packages
for Ubuntu, for a variety of reasons. If someone would like to pick that
up, that'd be fantastic.

> Additionally, because of the way the Digium build infrastructure is
> setup allow non-digium people access to it is not a trivial process.

Can you clarify what you need access to in order to build packages that
you currently don't have access to?

> Or, please have the local resource apply and become a package maintainer
> for Fedora or Debian and use their existing infrastructure.  If Digium
> wishes to maintain a local repo, back-porting from upstream is straight
> forward.

I don't see that happening. We do have sufficient resources to maintain
CentOS packages ourselves, but beyond that, we do not have the resources
to make packages for other distros.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager