[asterisk-dev] SIP Stack - Update

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Sun Dec 16 21:57:26 CST 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Shaun Ruffell <sruffell at digium.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 07:30:11PM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Faidon Liambotis <paravoid at debian.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > So, I had a look at Asterisk 11 and the embedded pjproject
>> > situation.  First of all, pjproject's build system is insane:
>> > dozens of makefiles, customization via "user.mak", various
>> > quirks (such as ./configure being a wrapper to ./aconfigure!?),
>> > crosscompile strangeness and various random bugs e.g. it doesn't
>> > build with CC set to "cc" or anything that doesn't start with
>> > "gcc".
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > It has also resulted in Asterisk 11 being basically unfit for
>> > Debian :( We might have a way out by patching the Asterisk 11
>> > sources to use your new patched pjproject tarballs, when these
>> > arrive, otherwise we'll have to go from 10 to 12 where hopefully
>> > the situation will be improved.
>>
>> Oh, great and powerful Debian god, we humbly beg thy forgiveness.
>> Tell us, oh great one, what would you like us to do?  Clearly, we
>> have displeased thee and thou wouldst deign to impart thy wisdom
>> upon our humble souls, please, do so and help us, oh mighty Debian
>> god.  Help us to see the error of our ways and impart to us a new
>> path that pleases thee.
>
> I think Faidon's concerns are valid and I did not find his tone
> offensive. It seems perfectly valid to address these concerns either
> by a) a change in Asterisk or b) a statement why it is not practical
> for Asterisk to do so.
>
> Just saying...

While I generally would agree that with his complaints, he ended the
email in a very passive-aggressive way, and I responded in kind.
Faidon has been around this mailing list since well before Asterisk
1.8 was released, and his concerns should have been presented before
Asterisk 11 was branched, or at the very least, while it was still in
beta.  Waiting until after release and then complaining how he won't
be able to include it in Debian is simply rude.