[asterisk-dev] DAHDI migration to Git

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Thu Dec 6 12:47:25 CST 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 12:40:53PM -0600, David M. Lee wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Dan Jenkins wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry if I came across as though I was suggesting to
> > entirely change digium's workflow earlier, that wasn't what I
> > meant at all.
> >
> > When I talked about using GitHub I didn't mean that you would
> > have to use all of the features like wiki/issues etc, only that
> > having the code in a public place (and easy to view and use)
> > would only benefit the projects - git.asterisk.org is not a nice
> > front end to git, it's the standard web GUI on top of git.
>
> Agreed, but simply mirroring to GitHub would be sufficient. Then
> you wouldn't have to use gitweb.

I'm nearly certain this will be done. If nobody comes forward and
identifies a problem with the dahdi/linux repository rmeyerriecks
has set up [1], then it will be mirrored to
http://github.com/asterisk/dahdi-linux, after which I'll delete my
github public repo at http://github.com/sruffell/dahdi-linux, and
then fork the asterisk/dahdi-linux and cherry-pick my WIP back onto
it. By keeping an asterisk/dahdi-linux mirror there will be a way to
find those Github users who have forked it / build up the
connections of interested parties on Github.

So it will be done, it just won't be the canonical repository.

[1] http://git.asterisk.org/gitweb/?p=dahdi/linux.git

Just a note about interfaaces. One thing I like about gitweb's
interfae over Github's is the ability to see tags and heads in the
shortlog.  For example, here is the same shortlog from both
services.

gitweb:
http://git.asterisk.org/gitweb/?p=team/sruffell/asterisk-working.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/for-trunk

Github:
https://github.com/sruffell/asterisk-working/commits/for-trunk

On gitweb's interface it's easy to see which commits are sitting on
top of the current trunk. It's a bit harder to see that with
Github's.

--
Shaun Ruffell
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer